The best schools in Switzerland – education information
The traditions of the private schools in Switzerland were laid in the middle of the XIX century. The attractiveness of Switzerland for wealthy people contributed to their development and popularization in the world. Swiss conscientiousness, consistency and attention to detail have helped to create an exceptionally high-level education system. The beautiful Alpine nature and the climate of Switzerland complement the picture.
Swiss schools have an impeccable reputation in terms of education – secondary educational institutions in this country are considered among the best and in demand for studying in foreign countries.
The best private schools in Switzerland – ranking for students
The absolute majority of private schools in Switzerland offer excellent quality education, paying attention not only to the intellectual, but also to the physical development of students. However, each educational institution has an individual character and learning style, which is important to take into account when choosing a school.
The most prestigious educational institutions are part of the Federation of Private Schools in Switzerland. Today it consists of 33 schools, each of which pays special attention to the qualifications of the teaching staff and implements several international educational programs.
- TASIS – one of the most famous schools in Switzerland, combines the educational traditions of Europe and innovations in education, in which the United States leads. The school has preparatory classes for children 4-6 years old.
- Leysin American School offers several programs for studying. The number of students in classroom does not exceed 8-10 pupils. The students visit ski resorts twice a week.
- La Garenne International School is specially designed for younger children. The children from 4 to 14 years old study here, bilingual education since kindergarten. Speech development classes, a lot of creativity and outdoor games are provided for kids.
- Surval Montreux – a separate school for girls aged from 13 to 19 years old. Students are taught etiquette, home economics and dancing, but the educational opportunities of the school are not limited to this. The studying is conducted according to an American or British program, and after finishing the school course at the age of 17, many girls remain for an additional one-year course of Liberal Arts. Its program includes travel, acquaintance with the art and culture of different countries, the study of entrepreneurship and international relations.
Educational process in private schools in Switzerland for foreign students
In Switzerland, the parents can send a child to school as early as 4 years old. Although more often, they become first graders at the age of 6. Before that, children are often sent to kindergartens, for which there is a very high demand in Switzerland. Kids spend most of the day playing games and also learning languages. Many private gardens in Switzerland work at schools, which helps children to adapt smoothly to their studies.
Primary school education takes six years, which are devoted to general development and languages. At this age, a child from another country is helped to adapt to a new environment by the increased attention paid to children by teachers and educators.
The first stage of secondary school in Switzerland takes three, sometimes four years. At this stage, it becomes clear whether the child is ready to study further in the academic program. Students who expect to enrol in a university in Switzerland, move on to the second stage of secondary school and prepare for the federal exam. Those who do not need higher education receive secondary vocational education.
The school curriculum has five directions, denoted by letters from A to E. Each of them has 10-12 compulsory subjects, plus two or four additional disciplines in accordance with the profile: foreign languages, natural sciences, humanities or economics.
The Swiss secondary education program is considered the most difficult, providing comprehensive studying in academic subjects and fluency in three languages. The document on graduation from a private school in Switzerland opens up wide opportunities for further education for graduates, including at universities that occupy the top lines of world rankings.
Equipping schools in Switzerland
Swiss private schools offer premium quality services. As a result — exceptionally high-quality equipment of classrooms, campuses, sports facilities. Starting from a drama club with its own stage and ending with a yacht club on the shores of Lake Constance or Lake Geneva, everything is equipped, properly, accessible to every student. You can even bring a pet with you and keep it in a local stable.
Their fitness centres and swimming pools eliminate the need to go outside the school grounds. The latest computers and scientific laboratories make it possible to apply the acquired knowledge in practice. The atmosphere in the school is conducive to constant development.
TOP private schools in Switzerland fees for foreign students
The average price for a year of study at a private school in Switzerland is about 70 thousand Swiss francs. The tuition fee includes accommodation, meals, sports and other extracurricular activities, as well as school and sports uniforms and textbooks. It is worth considering flights home and back during the holidays.
Enrolment in the best schools in Switzerland for foreign students
You can enroll in a Swiss school at almost any age. The younger the child, the easier it is for him to learn languages and adapt in an unfamiliar environment. Having left home at the age of 11-12, by high school the children join the educational process, and studying in a foreign language does not pose any difficulty for them.
To enroll in a Swiss school, you need to prepare the following documents (basic package):
- Birth certificate
- Medical insurance, accident insurance
- Residence permit (confirmation of the availability of housing when enrolling in full-time education).